The old saying is true: when you give, you get. Some call it karma. I call it business. I’m the founder of World Clothes Line (WCL), an apparel company with a philanthropic mission. We match every item purchased with a new item for someone in need. You buy. We give. Together, we clothe the world.
Our buy-one give-one mission is a lot like karma. When customers make a purchase, they “give” by helping people in need and “get” comfortable stylish clothes for themselves. Then, the WCL team travels to impoverished corners of the globe to distribute new clothes. In three years of business, I’ve visited 15 countries and clothed thousands in need. Again, the “give and get” applies. As a social entrepreneur, I’ve helped people around the world and simultaneously learned some incredible life lessons. Let me share a few:
- The world is getting smaller. You can fly to Europe and run into your neighbor. You can do business across time zones. And even in the most remote regions of Africa, you can find Wi-Fi. We are all more connected…which means that we are all more responsible. What happens on the other side of the world affects you.
- People are incredibly kind. Don’t pay attention to negativity. I’ve discovered more open doors than closed ones. I’ve heard ‘yes’ more than I’ve heard ‘no.’ I have customers that continuously buy my products because they are good people and they want to help. I’ve had families living in shacks offer me their own beds to sleep in…because they are good people and they want to help. Kindness is everywhere.
- Your own fear is often your biggest enemy. I’m often asked how I have accomplished so much at such a young age. My answer is that I have worked through my fears. Most people know what they want, but they are too afraid to go after it. Imagine what you would do if you were fearless. Would you make that phone call you can’t seem to make? Would you ask for that raise? Would you pursue that hidden passion? Sometimes the only thing holding us back is ourselves.
- Every little bit helps. As an entrepreneur, I understand that nothing happens overnight. Every goal is accomplished by completing a million little baby steps. Every new customer…every new order…every new opportunity that I seek…every new person that I meet. It all makes a difference.
- Doing good feels good. I’ve experienced quite a lot for my age. At 27 years old, I’ve visited 30 countries. I’ve climbed to Machu Picchu and swum in the Dead Sea. But the greatest feeling of elation I’ve ever felt is helping others.
If you want a little good karma in your life, please visit our online store at WorldClothesLine.com. We’ll match your purchase with a new item for someone in need. Trust me, you’ll give…and get!
World Clothes Line