It’s that time of year again. All of your family and friends keep asking you what you want for Christmas, and you don’t have a clue as to what you want. You haven’t even figured out what you’ll be getting them. Well, that’s what this list is for. Featured below are some very impressive products from a variety of startups. First, you will see a few tech startups with products that would make great gifts (Who doesn’t like cool tech?). Then, we featured a few local Detroit startups that are making both great products and a difference in the community.
- Olloclip – Olloclip went from an idea on Kickstarter to a very successful product found in every Apple Store. This tech startup makes attachable photo lenses for the iPhone. Their products make a better experience for mobile photographers by enhancing the field of view for your phone.
- Coolest – This company is one of the most successful Kickstarter campaigns ever. Coolest produces possibly the coolest coolers out there (pun intended). The coolers come stocked with LED lighting, a built-in bottle opener, a USB charger, an outdoor speaker that allows you to stream music right from your phone, a bungee cord, a 20V rechargeable lithium battery and a high performance blender.
- Oculus Rift – Even though it’s not on the market just yet, it’s hard not to put the Oculus on this list. The Oculus Rift is a long awaited virtual reality headset. The anticipation for the final product produced so much hype, that Facebook decided to acquire the whole company. Oculus promises to be unlike anything you’ve ever experienced before. It can be used to play games and watch movies using state of the art virtual technology. Other applications are still in the works. The expected final release is early 2016, so this might have to be a late Christmas present.
- Tile – This innovative product allows you to locate your lost items. Attach the Tile to your keys, purse, backpack or bike. If you lose the item with your Tile attached to it, simply open the Tile app on your smartphone and it will locate your item for you. The Tile app pinpoints your items location on a map and the Tile will ring when you are close. You can also use the Tile to find your phone simply by pressing it. Your phone will begin to ring even when it’s on silent.
- Narrative Clip – The Narrative Clip is the world’s most wearable camera. You just clip it onto your shirt or jacket, and the 5 megapixel camera will automatically take two photos every minute so that you can capture those special moments you don’t expect. You can access the photos from the cloud by downloading the Narrative app on either Android or iPhone. The app organizes the photos onto a timeline, and you can search out specific pictures by searching by location or date. Once you find a picture you like, you can share it on social media. The company also developed the Narrative Clip 2 which is expected to ship in January. The new product features an 8 megapixel camera plus full HD video.
- Original Stix – This local startup produces high quality phone cases made from recycled hockey sticks. This is a perfect gift for hockey fans.
- McClary Bros. – This company gained a lot of attention after appearing on an episode of Shark Tank this season. McClary Bros. creates old-fashioned drinking vinegars. They’re great for mixing with cocktails, salad dressings, marinades and sauces.
- Wallace Detroit Guitars – Founded in 2014, Wallace Detroit Guitars builds on two great Detroit traditions, building things and making music. This startup takes the wood from Detroit’s abandoned houses and builds beautiful guitars. These guitars make a wonderful gift for the musician in your family.
- Rebel Nell – This social venture repurposes Detroit’s graffiti and turns it into beautiful pieces of jewelry. In addition, Rebel Nell employs and empowers Detroit’s disadvantaged women.
- World Clothes Line – For every article of clothing bought on their website, World Clothes Line will send another piece of clothing to a person in need in another country. Their online store includes internationally inspired t-shirts, sweatshirts, pants and accessories.
We hope that this list helps you make some of the toughest decisions you’ll face all year, what you want for Christmas and what you’re getting everybody else. Mac-OU INC thanks you for another wonderful year. We hope you all have a merry Christmas and happy New Year.
Marketing and Communications Intern